Planning is Key to a Stress-Free and Successful Move!
One Month Prior to Move
- As soon as you know you are moving, research and reserve a reputable moving company, or contact a company such as MD Relocation Services.
- Visit your local packing supply store to purchase moving boxes and necessary supplies, or have us or our moving partners procure them for you.
- Let our partners wrap and pack your belongings for you.
- Start cleaning out closets, the garage and attic.
- Host a yard sale to recoup some money, or donate unwanted items to charity.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records.
- Get change of address cards from your local post office, or on www.usps.com
- Notify companies, organizations and publications of your address change, including magazine and newspaper subscriptions, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, etc.
- If possible, obtain owner’s manuals for appliances in your new home.
One to Two Weeks Prior to Move
- Make a “survival closet” for Moving Day, consisting of cleaning products and tools for the final cleanup, and snacks for you, your family and pets.
- If you pack your items yourself, make sure to label all the moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure that the movers bring them exactly where they should go.
- Schedule the utilities to be disconnected, including gas, electric, water, telephone, cable and internet. Do not disconnect the phone until after your move. Arrange for any refunds that are due, or pay off any outstanding balances. Schedule installation and connections for your new home.
- Cancel newspapers, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance and any other services you receive. If desired, procure such services for your new home, either with the same providers or different ones.
The Week of the Move
- Mail your change of address forms.
- Clean the stove, oven, bathtub and other overlooked areas of your home.
The Day Before the Move
- Clean the refrigerator, then defrost and dry.
- Go to the bank or ATM to withdraw cash. This will be helpful for tipping the movers, as well as providing you with money in case there is any delay or issue with accessing your funds.
- Say goodbye to your neighbors, and inform them of your new address contact information, if desired.